Sienna's Santa Maria cathedral.

Our day trip to Sienna was well worth it.  Everything was so pretty, and reminded me of my time abroad on the tiny island of Ortigia in Sicily, minus the coast.
italianvisits
Piazza del campo was different than others I had visited because it sloped down towards what is now a museum at the far end.
aboutromania

Everyone was out feeding pigeons and enjoying the sun with a caffe macchiato, my new favorite coffee.  Yum yum yum.




The Cathedral della Santa Maria was hands down one of the most gorgeous cathedrals I've ever seen.  Every piece of pink and white marble covering the interior and exterior was intricately carved.  It only took about 130 years to complete!  And here's the kicker:  it's never been restored!!!



I enjoyed seeing the motifs used throughout the decoration, like this quatrefoil.


My handsome hubby.

The interior was just as spectacular as the outside.  All the floors are mosaic.











I wish I knew the stories the mosaic floors were conveying, but it was pretty easy to see that this was a battle...




Isn't this gorgeous?!







The next three pictures were taken around town.



You know me and interesting chandeliers!


Happy weekend everyone!