Recipe: chipotle mac & cheese.

Comfort food at it's finest is mom's mac & cheese!  Well, it's almost her recipe.  I added some veggies and white beans to make me feel like I was eating healthy...


Saute a chopped onion, carrot, and celery stalk.  Once they are softened, add a handful of spinach and allow to wilt.  Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of your favorite spicy blend.  Put veggies aside.

In an oven safe pan, I used my Le Cruset, melt 2 tablespoons of butter with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.  Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of flour on top and cook off the raw flour taste.  This happens quick so watch it because it will burn.


 Pour 1 1/2 cups of milk into the butter/oil/flour mixture and bring to a simmer.  Use a whisk to get rid of any lumps.  Once the sauce starts to thicken, take off the heat and add 1 1/2-2 cups of shredded cheese.  I used half cheddar and half Gruyere.


Toss the cheese sauce with the veggies, 1 can of drained and rinsed cannelini beans, and orzo pasta.


Flatten in the pan and sprinkle the top with a little more cheese.

Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown on the top.